Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Popsicles! - Strawberry Peach, Watermelon, and Mimosa

Virginia summers are hot!  Really hot.
And so naturally we have been going through boxes and boxes of popsicles.
We recently got a homemade popsicle mold and I figure just maybe I should start using it.  The bad side to these is it takes up a pretty good chunk of the freezer.  However, that is the end of the cons.

Pros - no corn syrup - grocery store popsicles have a ton of added sugar
        - even if you buy 'natural' popsicles - they have those little gross chunky fruit bits in them
        - all the flavours you can think of!

Now I realize it may just be me that thinks the chunky fruit bits are gross, but they are.  I don't like them in yogurt either - gross.  But at home I can make healthier popsicles with no grossness!

Here are the three popsicle recipes I've tried recently:

Mimosa Popsicles
After the wedding we ended up with a couple bottles of champagne and no one to drink it but me so I've been finding alternative ways to use it.  Obviously I can't finish a whole bottle at once and it goes flat pretty fast, but like old wine, you can always cook with it.


These were just half OJ and half champagne.  I think next time I would either add a little sugar or only use 1/3 champagne.  They were good but a little dry.
Also, due to the bubbles, they freeze a little weird. Lots of little air pockets.

Strawberry Peach Popsicles




1/2 cup raspberries
16 oz bag of frozen peaches (thawed)
16 oz bag of frozen strawberries (thawed)

Just blend everything up. Don't worry if it is really thick.  Depending on our fruit you may want to add a bit of sugar, just taste it and see if you want it sweeter.
To get rid of the seeds (and the chunky things) I ran the mix through a strainer before pouring in the mold.


And last but definitely not least - these were excellent!

Watermelon Popsicles



1/4 of a watermelon diced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup raspberries
sugar (optional)

Blend everything together.  Again taste for sweetness, add a bit of white sugar until it is to your tasting.  Watermelon tends to be, well - watery.  So the sweetness will change with every different melon.
Again I ran it through the strainer to get rid of the seeds.


I love these molds! And as a bonus they are a great colour when I keep making red.pink popsicles in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment