Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Panna Cotta

I find myself with a considerable amount of unexpected free time and a stack of new kitchen toys that have yet to be used.  So here we go!

I usually choose things I want to cook based on things I ate in a restaurant and thought - This is so good, I want to eat it all the time.
I can't remember when I first ate panna cotta but it was wonderful.  I recently got married and we registered for ramekins purely so I could make lots and lots of panna cotta and creme caramel.


Here is the original recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/panna-cotta/.  I made some adjustments which are reflected below.

1/3 Cup Skim Milk
1 Tbsp Pectin (original is a packet of gelatin but I couldn't find it, my husband is grossed out now because I told him what gelatin is made of so we will probably be using this more now anyways)
2 Cups Heavy Cream (original is another 1/2 cup but I ran out)
1/2 Cup White Sugar
Vanilla  (Who actually measures this? Just pour it in)

  1. Pour milk into a small bowl, and stir in the pectin/gelatin powder. Set aside.
  2. In a saucepan, stir together the heavy cream and sugar, on medium heat until it boils. Pour the gelatin and milk into the cream, stirring until completely dissolved. Cook for about a minute - keep stirring. Take it off the oven, stir in the vanilla and pour into  ramekin dishes. 
  3. Cool the ramekins uncovered at room temperature. When cool, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
  4. I added raspberries and used a cheese grater to shave an old chocolate Easter bunny


The original said it would make 6 - it lied, it makes 4.  The pectin substitution was fine, if you wanted to take them out of the ramekin to serve, it wouldn't hold together though.  Thankfully I was planning on keeping them in anyways!  



No comments:

Post a Comment